£45,000-£65,000 + Benefits + Car Allowance
about 1 year ago
Our client are a leading international energy solutions company who work on multimillion pound District Heating and Community Energy projects across the UK. They are currently seeking a Principal Design Engineer - Heat Networks/District Heating Systems.
The Lead Design position is responsible for the management and development of district heating design, whose main scope is the production and delivery of the mechanical design elements of our client’s Heat Network systems across a broad range of sectors.
- Identify key design and project dependencies. Recommend and drive optimal solutions and strategies to ensure designs are delivered to scope, time, cost and quality criteria.
- Develop and take responsibility for the delivery of detailed technical solutions, with a right first approach.
- Assign tasks, objectives and targets to team members and monitor and review their progress.
- Ensure the quality of work carried out by team members meet company, regulatory, good practice and client requirements.
- Adhere to the Competence and Training framework policy and procedures to ensure each team member attains and maintains the required competency level to perform their role.
- Identify development needs and support team members through coaching, mentoring and training.
- Support the development of company design standards and product offerings to ensure the implementation of good quality installations and a consistent approach to base costs.
- Support the operation teams and provide technical evaluations of sub-contractor and supplier offerings.
- Represent the company at progress and client meetings, providing technical guidance and input and present at a level that the entire audience will understand.
- To lead, monitor, set tasks and objectives to design colleagues to ensure a robust, accurate and viable design proposals are delivered in a timely and efficient manner.
- Support the sales and commercial teams by providing technical support and advice, development of conceptual schemes as part of the bid process.
- Liaise and assist the operational teams in the procurement and analysis of main plant and sub contract packages.
- Aid operational teams in ensuring quality standards of installations conform with company standards.
- Interact with external design consultants, regulatory bodies, manufacturers and subcontractors to effectively deliver robust technical design solutions for district heating schemes.
- Assist the operational and project teams to effectively commission and optimise the operational efficiency of new and existing district heating schemes.
- Communicate and present to client’s design proposals and ensure client requirements are achieved.
- CEng Chartered Engineer status (or working toward)and engaged on a programme of Continual Professional Development.
- Extensive experience in a relevant field, including at least 3-5 years in a similar role.
- An ability to size and specify valves, instruments and piping components.
- Experience with the creation and detailing of Bills of Material for plant equipment, valves and instrumentation.
- An ability to size and specify major plant such as boilers, CHP engines, pumps, heat exchangers and chillers.
- Detailed knowledge of the design and configuration of boiler plant, CHP engines and chillers.
- Experience of site visits and surveys to collect data for creating designs.
- Experience of site attendance for snagging activities and commissioning support.
- Liaison with both internal and external clients, contractors and suppliers.
- Technical ability to interpret and understand the outputs of piping stress analysis and to identify design improvements.
- Review and Approval of Design Engineer and Graduate calculations and drawings.
- Writing sub-contractor scopes and major plant tender documentation.
- Compilation and writing of Operation & Maintenance manual content for delivered designs.
- Review and Approval of Design Engineer and Graduate technical documentation.
- The ability to accept delegated tasks and responsibilities to assist the operation and management of the department.
- An ability and willingness to manage, mentor and assist the development of Design Engineers and Graduate Engineers.
- The responsibility for attending major project kick-off meetings, leading the projects forward and briefing supporting engineers.