Up to £65,000 + Benefits + Bonus
over 2 years ago
Our client are a leading international energy solutions company who work on multimillion pound District Heating and Community Energy projects across the UK. They are currently seeking a Lead Design Engineer role for their design team based out of London
The Lead Design Engineer is responsible for the management and development of a team of district heating design engineers whose main scope is the production and delivery of the mechanical design elements of our client’s Heat Network systems across a broad range of sectors
- Identify key design and project dependencies. Recommend and drive optimal solutions and strategies to ensure designs are delivered to scope, time, cost and quality criteria.
- Develop and take responsibility for the delivery of detailed technical solutions, with a right first approach.
- Assign tasks, objectives and targets to team members and monitor and review their progress.
- Ensure the quality of work carried out by team members meet company, regulatory, good practice and client requirements.
- Adhere to the Competence and Training framework policy and procedures to ensure each team member attains and maintains the required competency level to perform their role.
- Identify development needs and support team members through coaching, mentoring and training.
- Support the development of company design standards and product offerings to ensure the implementation of good quality installations and a consistent approach to base costs.
- Support the operation teams and provide technical evaluations of sub-contractor and supplier offerings.
- Represent the company at progress and client meetings, providing technical guidance and input and present at a level that the entire audience will understand.
- To lead, monitor, set tasks and objectives to design colleagues to ensure a robust, accurate and viable design proposals are delivered in a timely and efficient manner.
- Support the sales and commercial teams by providing technical support and advice, development of conceptual schemes as part of the bid process.
- Liaise and assist the operational teams in the procurement and analysis of main plant and sub contract packages.
- Aid operational teams in ensuring quality standards of installations conform with company standards.
- Interact with external design consultants, regulatory bodies, manufacturers and subcontractors to effectively deliver robust technical design solutions for district heating schemes.
- Assist the operational and project teams to effectively commission and optimise the operational efficiency of new and existing district heating schemes.
- Communicate and present to client’s design proposals and ensure client requirements are achieved.
- CEng Chartered Engineer status and engaged on a programme of Continual Professional Development.
- Extensive experience in a relevant field, including at least 3-5 years in a similar role.
- An ability to size and specify valves, instruments and piping components.
- Experience with the creation and detailing of Bills of Material for plant equipment, valves and instrumentation.
- An ability to size and specify major plant such as boilers, CHP engines, pumps, heat exchangers and chillers.
- Detailed knowledge of the design and configuration of boiler plant, CHP engines and chillers.
- Experience of site visits and surveys to collect data for creating designs.
- Experience of site attendance for snagging activities and commissioning support.
- Liaison with both internal and external clients, contractors and suppliers.
- Technical ability to interpret and understand the outputs of piping stress analysis and to identify design improvements.
- Review and Approval of Design Engineer and Graduate calculations and drawings.
- Writing sub-contractor scopes and major plant tender documentation.
- Compilation and writing of Operation & Maintenance manual content for delivered designs.
- Review and Approval of Design Engineer and Graduate technical documentation.
- The ability to accept delegated tasks and responsibilities to assist the operation and management of the department.
- An ability and willingness to manage, mentor and assist the development of Design Engineers and Graduate Engineers.
- The responsibility for attending major project kick-off meetings, leading the projects forward and briefing supporting engineers.