Competitive Salary (DOE)
8 months ago
Position Title: Sr. PV Designer
Reports to: Head of Solar
- Design commercial and utility scale PV systems, including single line diagrams, array layouts, fence layout, road layout. Layouts to be performed in AutoCAD.
- Perform string size calculations
- Establish PV basis of design including module selection, string sizing, ground coverage ratio, inverter selection, inverter power factor requirements, inverter loading ratio, and cable sizing.
- Perform energy performance modelling using PVsyst software.
- Assess/survey site conditions and anticipate issues that may arise during construction.
- Research and development in solar technology for new product development and stay current on new technological developments in the field.
- Demonstrated structural, mechanical, and electrical design skills, ability to generate accurate, highly‐detailed construction drawings.
- Use Excel spreadsheets and calculations to size PV systems.
- Understanding of utility PPA and Interconnection requirements.
- Assess project team and processes to identify how current technologies are being used, how to apply lean techniques, and identify potential areas for improvement.
- Develop new technology evaluation methods and standards.
- Apply knowledge of engineering principles and practices to tasks, particularly when analysing current technical tools, and evaluating tools.
- Generates new ideas, goes beyond the status quo; recognizes the need for new or modified approaches.
- Communicate field observations with design engineering to achieve design solutions.
- Read technical articles and attend Solar PV training to keep up with latest products, design techniques, and construction strategies.
- Stay on top of relevant changes of Electrical Codes in approx. 5 different countries.
- Perform and develop engineering calculations.
- Increased interaction with Solar Project Development Team, external design teams and information management.
- Maintain professional and technical development goals.
- Obtain Professional Development and Training.
- Electrical Engineering or similar Bachelor of Science degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in PV system design, preferably utility scale.
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD and related Autodesk software, MEP/REVIT, ETAP/SKM (desired) as well basic Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be proficient in PVsyst and related solar performance modelling software.
- Demonstrated electrical, structural and mechanical design skills, and the ability to generate accurate, highly-detailed construction drawings.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal skills, including the ability to communicate in a positive manner with project managers, other engineering/design team members, management and installation contractors to foster an environment of superior coordination.
- Good problem solving and critical thinking abilities and a proactive work ethic. Must take accountability of own body of work, closing each project by design completion efficiently, while maintaining accuracy and strict attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to clearly define objectives, exercise sound technical judgment, take on increasing levels of responsibility and to thrive in a small, flexible and dynamic work environment.
- Strong ability to apply innovative and creative skills to problem solving.
- Good time management, communication and people skills.
- Language skills: English and Spanish fluently, German (desired, but not necessary).
Applicants must be authorized to work in Germany. This position is not eligible for sponsorship.