4 months ago
TRGC have been retained by Malta Inc to manage their search for a Director, Commercial in North America.
Malta, Inc. (“Malta”) is accelerating the global transition to a decarbonized grid by developing and deploying novel, low-cost, environmentally safe grid-scale energy storage solutions. Malta's technology was developed by leading international researchers and represents the state-of-the-art in utility scale renewable energy storage. The company has recently completed a major fundraising round and is growing rapidly, including developing our first large scale storage sites. Malta's investors/partners are some of the largest and most creative tech and industrial companies in the world, and together we are tackling energy decarbonization, one of the most urgent issues facing humans today.
Malta is located in Boston but operates globally with a range of international project partners, investors, and clients.
The Director of Commercial will support and drive technology commercialization and business model development for Malta’s pumped heat energy storage solutions. Reporting directly to the VP Commercialization, you will have broad responsibility to support the planning and execution of product strategies, market engagement, project development and finance, and strategic partnering. Malta intends to both develop projects and sell our technology directly to customers: you will actively pursue and execute on both types of market access for our technology. You are an exceptionally smart, positive-energy professional with a passionate urgency for helping us move the dial on climate change reduction. You are also wicked good with numbers, write persuasively with ease, can comfortably discuss energy topics at the C-level, and can thrive while executing long sales engagements with utilities, IPPs, and industrial customers. You understand that a young company like Malta has changing needs and are willing to be flexible, to wear multiple hats, support multiple functions, and change with the organization. You will spend much of your time engaging with customers to position Malta’s technology as an attractive solution to their pain points, working with Malta’s commercial partner organizations to broaden our customer funnel, creatively developing projects and delivering Malta systems to the market.
We are a growing but small team so everyone carries their weight. You will need to own and be fluent with project documentation and financial models, but also be able to manage senior consultants, technical and commercial partners, and internal collaborators across disciplines. You understand how the energy industry works, but you also know it is changing fast and have intuition on how to work with market leaders to bring about a new energy ecosystem.
- 15+ years of energy industry experience
- Excellent communications and collaboration skills;
- Experienced with renewable energy or grid infrastructure technology
- Strong analytics capability and capacity for strategic thinking
- Reliable with docs and deadlines
- Can build and manage the build of project finance models
- Cares about the team, cares about the planet
- Experience with start-ups and/or utilities
- Familiarity with energy storage economics, use cases, business models
- Success with the full project development cycle, from lead gen through finance and commissioning
- Project development or management experience, especially in the context of new technologies
- Familiar with international business travel
- Passion for energy trends or policy issues
- Technical familiarity with grid and renewable energy asset operations
- Travel up to 30-40% of the time (post-covid), but we love family people so we’re flexible!