The Sr. Electrical Engineer IV – Electrical Engineering (Sr. Substation Engineer) serves as a lead engineer to provide high level engineering to develop conceptual and detailed designs and review designs provide by 3rd party engineers for of electrical substations for utility scale renewable power plants (wind & solar) and battery storage systems. This role aids in operations support of renewable power generation projects; while supporting development, engineering and construction of projects.
• Acts as a subject matter expert (SME) to provide meaningful comments on externally designed substations including substation plan views, elevation views, single line diagrams, protection and control three-line and control schematics by 3rd Party Engineer of Record (EORs.)
• Designs and/or reviews the physical design of utility interconnection substations for renewable power generation facilities including power transformers, high voltage circuit breakers and switches, medium voltage switchgear, protection and control systems, reactive compensation equipment, grounding, lighting and surge protection, low and medium voltage ac and dc cable systems, and plant auxiliary equipment.
• Reviews result of design studies of the AC substation and collection systems and performs and reviews Load Flow and Short Circuit analyses, DC and AC loss calculations, cable ampacity studies, and AC/DC cable sizing to establish equipment ratings, optimize designs, and establish operating parameters to achieve a safe, well-engineered, and cost-effective project
• Prepares and reviews specifications and construction documents for low, medium, and high voltage electrical power facilities to identify design and performance requirements for procurement of electrical materials and equipment.
• Supports the Director of Engineering in preparing weekly project updates for electrical engineering design progress and labor utilization for engineering project delivery team and senior management.
• Performs factory visits to assess quality and materials for adherence to specifications.
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or 10+ years equivalent experience, required
• Professional Engineer (PE or P.Eng) certification, required
• Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, preferred
• 8 or more years of experience in design and construction of High Voltage (HV) Electrical Substation, required
• 2 or more years of experience designing substations for grid-scale renewable energy generation and/or energy storage
****US candidates only****