Grid Engineer - Solar & Storage - London
- Posted 10 November 2021
- Salary DOE
- Job type Permanent
- DisciplineRenewable Energy & Infrastructure
- Contact NameNathan Quinn
A rare opportunity to join a leading international renewable development platform. The company are undergoing a large expansion over the next few years and are looking for a grid Grid Engineer to join their London team. Perfect for candidates who are currently working for a DNO and looking to move into renewables.
To undertake power system analysis, manage the connection application process and provide technical engineering expertise to support the grid connection activities for the project pipeline through the feasibility, development and delivery phases.
- Utilise power system analysis techniques and software tools to investigate new project opportunities across all jurisdictions in which are active (including the UK, Ireland and Australia) to identify key areas for future project development.
- Assess grid connection options for both distribution and transmission connected Solar PV projects to ensure optimal connection strategies are pursued for both contestable and non-contestable works in line with project development requirements.
- Develop and foster close working relationships with UK transmission and distribution network operators to assist the negotiation of efficient and cost-effective grid connection strategies and to support projects through the grid connection process.
- Create and maintain a database of grid connection costs for primary, secondary and auxiliary electrical equipment associated with the connection of Solar PV projects to assist in financial modelling for prospective projects.
- Provide technical advice to the development and management teams to ensure all engineering factors during the grid connection process are appropriately considered and risk assessed.
- Assist with the investigation and development of capability for new and advancing technologies (including Battery Storage and Grid Forming Inverters) to maximise project value, including through enabling the provision of ancillary services.
- Progressively establish sound engineering standards, systems and procedures for grid connection activities.
- Ability to undertake power system analysis using PSS/E or similar power system software packages.
- Proficiency in a programming language (e.g. Python) would be beneficial.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Excellent inter-disciplinary communication and presentation skills.
- Strong time management, organisational and report writing skills.
- Strong appreciation of the commercial implication of design decisions
- Strong technical knowledge of electricity grid planning/operations and the UK/IRL Grid Codes and relevant ENA Engineering Recommendations (e.g. G99).
- Knowledge of the AC and DC electrical design of solar PV plants and grid connection methodologies.
- Knowledge of HV electrical equipment, control systems, SCADA, protection, and metering.
- Knowledge of the DNO/ICP process for embedded generator connections in the UK/IRL.
- Knowledge of power system modelling and analysis tools and techniques.
- Appropriate degree in Electrical/Energy Engineering or related discipline.
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a DNO, TNO, power system engineering consultancy or similar.
- Experience in power system modelling and/or the integration of inverter-based generation on electricity grids.
- Site experience in Solar PV plants and/or high voltage substations is desirable but not essential.
- Evidence of working successfully to demanding deadlines.