Competitive Salary (DOE)
22 days ago
CONTRACT TO HIRE
This position is responsible for designing the electrical power distribution network for the auxiliary equipment of turbine projects. The voltage levels are primarily in the low-voltage side (600V and below) with implementation of equipment such as MCCs, Panelboards, LV Transformers, DC Systems and Batteries.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Responsible for assisting project leads in the electrical design process of the project.
● Utilize SmartPlant Electrical (SPEL) todesign the electrical power distribution network as a database. Successfully develop single-line diagrams, panelboard schedules, electrical loads lists, motors lists, feeder schematics, master cable schedules, master terminations schedules, and other electrical documents best suited for extraction from a database type tool like SPEL under the supervision of the project lead. Experience with similar database driven software will also be considered.
● Use SmartPlant Instrumentation (SPI) to design the instrument database and signals network. Successfully develop wiring diagrams, control schematics, cable schedules, termination schedules, instrument schedules, instrument data sheets, hook-up drawings, and other electrical documents best suited for extraction from a database type tool like SPI. Experience with similar database driven software will also be considered.
● Utilize SmartPlant 3D (S3D) to design the electrical power distribution system under the supervision of the project lead to successfully develop power system plans, lighting plans, electrical room layouts, elevation drawings, conduit/cable tray arrangements, hazardous area classifications, and other electrical documents best suited for extraction from a database/3D type tool like S3D. Experience with similar database driven 3D software will also be considered.
● Assist project leads in performing calculations, sizing of equipment (i.e.: breakers, overload devices, etc.), sizing of cables/conduits/equipment spacing, illumination level calculations, maintaining bill of materials, and other design duties required by complexity of project.
● Prepare specifications primarily for electrical wiring equipment (i.e.: cables, conduit/fitting/trays, termination boxes, lighting, etc.) and select qualified vendors. Interface with purchasing and vendors in the modification and approval of component parts and assemblies.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures reporting all unsafe activities to Management and/or Human Resources.
● Possess current, working knowledge of electrical design for industrial facilities; power plant experience is a plus.
● Interpret and design per code requirements from the authority having jurisdiction over a project’s electrical installation. Will need to be able to investigate, understand, and interpret when necessary the applicable electrical code for a project (NEC/NFPA 70, CEC, IEC, etc.).
● Work closely with the electrical team in implementing smart-tool standards, policies, and procedures.
● Develop schedules, coordinate and manage the design for projects of all sizes with minimal supervision from the project lead.
● Communicate with clients regarding project status and be capable of addressing questions within the designer’s scope.
● Provide technical support during manufacturing and commissioning of equipment
● Lead junior engineers and interns and support their development.
● Travel - 5%.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EDUCATION:
● Bachelor Degree (BA) in Electrical Engineering required. Minimum Three (3) years of technical and/or practical experience in industrial facility power distribution design (up to 600VAC and 220VDC). Individuals with inclination towards computer programming languages is highly encouraged.
●Computer Skills:Fluent in MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, Acrobat Writer, Excel, etc.). Knowledge of database, project management, graphics, technical diagrams, flow charts, etc.
SOFTWARE EXPERIENCE DESIRED:
●SmartPlant Electrical:Expertise of the software is a plus. Significant expertise in registered report creation/modification, symbol creation, filters creation, rules creation, reference data creation, batch mode operations, data maintenance, and overall effective utilization of tool.
●SmartPlant Instrumentation:Past experience of the software is a plus.
●SmartSketch: Past experience/expertise with the tool is a plus.
●SmartPlant 3D: Minimum 2 years, or significant expertise in creation of electrical tray/conduit specifications, designing of trays/conduits, creation of tray/conduit drawings, and extraction of bills of materials from tool. All related to the electrical module of S3D. Experience with Revit 3d or another comparable 3D electrical design tool will be considered as well.
●Lighting Software (i.e: DIALux, Visual, etc.): Familiarity with lighting calculation software and the capability to perform analyses and interpret the results against code requirements.