A rare opportunity to join a leading international renewable development platform. The company are undergoing a large expansion over the next few years and are looking for a Connections Engineer to join their London team. Perfect for candidates who are currently working for a DNO and looking to move into renewables.
- Manage and coordinate the connection process for a portfolio of solar PV and energy storage projects from preliminary feasibility studies through the grid connection process.
- Assess grid connection options for both distribution and transmission connected Solar PV and energy storage projects to ensure optimal connection strategies are pursued for both contestable and non-contestable works in line with project development requirements.
- Develop and foster close working relationships with transmission and distribution network operators to assist the negotiation of efficient and cost-effective grid connection strategies and to support projects through the grid connection process.
- Manage a database of grid connection costs for primary, secondary and auxiliary electrical equipment associated with the connection of Solar PV and energy storage projects to assist in financial modelling for prospective projects.
- Provide technical advice to the development and management teams to ensure all engineering factors during the grid connection process are appropriately considered and risk assessed.
- Work collaboratively with the finance team to determine and optimise grid-related financial modelling inputs to maximise project value.
- Progressively establish sound engineering standards, systems and procedures for grid connection activities.
- Support the delivery of the project pipeline to energisation by providing electrical engineering guidance throughout the design, procurement, construction, and commissioning phases.
- Review documentation and provide input at the concept design, detailed design and construction phases to ensure successful project delivery while also maintaining compliance with network operator and Grid Code requirements.
- Develop ICP tender documentation to be issued for each connection type and assist in the assessment of ICP tender proposals.
- Support project construction and commissioning activities by co-ordinating and witnessing testing activities, analysing plant performance, and working pro-actively with Network Operators to resolve issues.
- Ensuring contractors, their sub-contractors and/or agents carry out all activities with respect to grid connections in a safe and controlled manner in accordance with appropriate Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Stay abreast of latest industry developments relevant to grid connections in the policy, regulation, technology, and commercial domains and provide guidance and updates to the wider business on this topic.
- Competent and experienced in the grid connection of renewable energy projects.
- Excellent inter-disciplinary communication and presentation skills.
- Strong time management, organisational and report writing skills.
- Strong appreciation of the commercial implication of design decisions.
- Ability to manage relationships with multiple stakeholders effectively.
- Strong technical knowledge of electricity grid planning/operations and the UK/IRL Grid Codes and relevant ENA Engineering Recommendations (e.g. G99).
- Knowledge of the AC and DC electrical design of solar PV plants and grid connection methodologies.
- Knowledge of HV electrical equipment, control systems, SCADA, protection, and metering.
- Knowledge of the DNO/ICP process for embedded generator connections in the UK/IRL.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation with respect to electrical systems.
- Appropriate degree in Electrical/Energy Engineering or related discipline.
- 8+ years’ experience working in a connections-focussed environment within a DNO, TNO, power system engineering consultancy or similar.
- Site experience in Solar PV plants and/or high voltage substations is desirable but not essential.
- Evidence of working successfully on multiple projects to demanding deadlines.