7 months ago
TGRC have partnered with a global renewable energy investment fund, to source and select a highly educated Wind Turbine Engineering Lead. The role will drive the business towards best practice in turbine selection, turbine manufacture and commissioning quality, developing turbine health monitoring capabilities and optimising turbine useful life across the portfolio. The Turbine Engineer’s activities are focussed on both corporate business assurance and project support in following areas:
- Development and construction: Act as turbine expert for development projects to assess technology and suitability for optimum site specific expected life. Act as technical lead for defining requirements and agreeing terms for turbine supply, and service and maintenance. Defining and assuring best practice for project delivery in relation to manufacturing quality, installation and commissioning of wind turbines.
- Asset Management: Assist asset management team providing advice and resolutions to technical and turbine health issues. Develop capability to assess turbine condition and identify opportunities to add value through additional monitoring and trend analysis tools.
- Business Growth: Participate in technical due diligence, identify risk and opportunities related to turbine engineering, turbine condition and turbine life during potential acquisitions.
- Drive continuous improvement across the business as wind turbine technology expert.
- Develop, implement and maintain management process, guidance and standards related to turbine engineering and support in assuring understanding, of and adherence, to such processes.
- Develop business understanding and capability in turbine health monitoring, predictive maintenance and diagnostics. Identify business opportunities to optimise asset availability through industry leading digital tools for health monitoring and diagnostics using SCADA and vibration based condition monitoring.
- Maintain current knowledge of turbine market, interacting with suppliers to understand technology developments.
- Act as a central point of co-ordination for turbine related issues providing lessons learned to the business.
- Turbine selection. Support development projects by contributing to wind turbine selection. identify turbine options, assess turbine technology, assess site suitability and optimise for site specific expected life, managing consultants as appropriate.
- Turbine procurement. Act as technical lead for turbine supply, and service and maintenance negotiation and procurement. Defining minimum requirements and specifications in tender packages, reviewing agreements and technical annexes and participating in negotiations.
- Project delivery. Define standards and scope for turbine inspection and commissioning review, support project team in review of inspection data and commissioning documentation.
- Project delivery. Provide technical support to project team interacting with turbine suppliers and service contractors as appropriate.
- Operations. Assist Asset Management to review turbine performance and operational status during early phase of project operation.
- Operations. Scope and review End of Warranty inspections and analysis, providing technical support to Asset Management to reach an acceptable technical resolution.
- Operations. Identify and analyse asset condition and or performance issues, and identify and support the implementation of additional investigation to determine root cause and corrective action and support implementation.
- Operations. Provide technical support to project team interacting with turbine suppliers and service contractors as appropriate.
- Technical due diligence. Lead technical due diligence for operational projects managing advisers as required.
- Technical due diligence. Contribute to the assessment of risk and opportunity of all potential acquisitions in relation to turbine engineering, current condition and site specific expected life.
- Develop DEVEX, CAPEX and OPEX assumptions.
- Attend site visits and factory acceptance tests as required.
- Degree qualification in mechanical, aeronautical or equivalent engineering discipline.
- Demonstrable experience and expertise in wind turbines gained from working on operating renewable power projects either as asset owner, technical adviser, turbine OEM or turbine service contractor.
- Depth of knowledge of wind turbines and subsystems.
- Detailed knowledge of wind turbine suppliers and wind turbine models.
- Understanding of certification, suitability and fatigue modelling.
- Experience in negotiating turbine supply, and service and maintenance agreements.
- Experience with SCADA monitoring software, and third party data analytics software tools to assist with reliability and performance analysis.
- Experience of vibration based condition monitoring.
- An ability to understand the technical implications of commercial objectives, identifying the right course of action for long term asset value.
- Problem-solver with the creativity to identify solutions and the drive to implement them.
- Excellent communication skills, including building relationships with colleagues and suppliers in numerous countries and cultures.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver quality work to tight deadlines.
- Flexibility: openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
- Strong drive for results, setting challenging goals and exceeding them.
- Strong project management skills.
- Fluent English speaker
- Willingness to travel internationally