3 months ago
Manager, External Affairs | PR | Community Engagement | Renewable Energy | Clean Energy | New York City
We are delighted to be retained by an innovative Energy Developer & Asset Manager based in New York City. The company has heavily invested in clean infrastructure for the city, with the current asset portfolio representing more than 20% of NYC’s electric generation capacity.
The firm’s strategy is centred on helping New York achieve ambitious clean energy goals, which includes modernisation of old infrastructure and developing new clean energy projects (such as battery storage and transmission). As a result of continued growth and success, the company is looking for a Manager, External affairs to join the team.
Our client is seeking a Manager of External Affairs to help build strong relationships with local communities, internal and external stakeholders, as well as policy makers to strengthen company reputation and advance the company’s business vision. This person will play an important role in representing the company before a diverse group of stakeholders—government, not-for-profit, and community members—who can benefit from the plant’s transition to incorporating more clean energy infrastructure.
- Establish and maintain relationships with stakeholders, policy makers, and local communities in Long Island City and in throughout the five boroughs
- Report to corporate leadership on progress, opportunities, and risks with respect to government and community relations
- Interface with organizations in communities surrounding the company’s assets to promote positive relationships.
- Organize and participate in local volunteer events to maintain favorable public perception of an organization's accomplishments, agenda, and environmental responsibility.
- Engage employees in order to develop public relations, volunteer, and community engagement strategies that will help the organization and local community.
- Provide formal/informal training and guidance to the organization employees to deliver on relationship building strategies
- Assist with hosting tours of the Ravenswood Generating Station facility.
- Support public relations and brand marketing initiatives by developing and overseeing content creation
- Foster and support the corporate culture of leadership and individual development
- Embraces compliance as a strength and commitment
- Strong self-awareness and highly intuitive
- Ability to see tasks through to completion without significant guidance.
- Interact and influence throughout multiple layers of the organization
- Inclusive decision making
- Creates buy-in and cohesion
- Responsive to issues
- Optimizes the utilization and efficiency of resources
- Manages to the respective budget
- High Performance Standards: personal, plant, and business/organization
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 5 years of government or community relations experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of…
- New York State and New York City government
- Microsoft products and/or complementary products, especially MS PowerPoint.
- Verifiable experience in…
- Project Advocacy – mobilizing support for large-scale initiatives
- Community Engagement – working with not-for-profits, especially those in environmental justice, environmental protection, and energy space
- Strategic Thinking - Analyzing stakeholder positions; identifying external threats and opportunities; adapting strategy to changing conditions.