Working with the leading anerobic digestion business in the UK this role will be focused around the management of multiple operational sites in Scotland.
This role will ensure processes are in place to monitor and improve profitability and will manage the finance of the business from an Operational perspective. Driving forward a ‘dataled’ decision making culture within Operations, the Head of this function will oversee daily operations, ensuring that operational policies and procedures are followed at all times. Responsible for managing and nurturing relevant external relationships to the advantage of the Business. Continual reviews will be required to ensure adequate resource for now and the future in line with known growth plans.This will include having the right people, in the right place, at the right time, at the most effective cost and ensuring that every member of the team has the right attitude, skill set and competency. Ownership of all site reporting including preparation of Board Reports and Papers.
Compliance: Safety, Health, Environment & Quality:
• Leading by example, and by providing clear direction effectively cascaded, demonstrate a proactive approach to the implementation of the Safety Roadmap as issued by the Head of Compliance. Instil a culture within all Operational sites where safe working practices are strictly followed to ensure compliance with all legal and internal requirements, driving forward the Company-wide culture of ‘Don’t Walk By’ (DWB), Work Safe/Home Safe. Ensure that unsafe acts and conditions are reported on all sites, investigated and corrective actions implemented to prevent recurrence.
• Ensure adherence to all Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality policies and processes on all sites. Audit Life Saving Rules and site processes to ensure ongoing compliance.
• Be involved in reviewing, setting and ensuring adherence to all Company governance processes.
• Working closely with Head of Compliance, ensure adherence to all regulatory body issued instructions such as those detailed in any PPC permit, CAR licence, COMAH processes, other HSE issued guidance, planning permission etc.
• Be the accountable person for Operations for all third party accreditations and certifications on all operational sites, ensuring that responsibilities are clear throughout reporting lines so that required processes are strictly followed to ensure continuation of approvals. This includes, but not limited to, OFGEM, ROCS, RHI, GGCS, FMSQ, ISCC, UFAS/FEMAS, PAS110, ISO standards (when achieved).
• Support, and ensure that reporting operational leadership team fully support, the implementation and ongoing management of the Company wide Integrated Management System.
• Ensure all sites adhere to maintenance policies and processes. Be confident, via reporting and audit methodologies, that inspection regimes, testing requirements and maintenance plans are adequate and adhered to. This approach will ensure safe operational plant and equipment, will ensure that legal requirements are met, and will maximize the lifecycle of Company assets whilst optimizing operational uptime.
• Champion and drive root cause analysis into operational equipment failures to ensure corrective actions are executed to eliminate risk of repeating issues. Ensure that a holistic approach is taken and all sites are considered.
• Attend and positively lead, from an Operational perspective, relevant compliance meetings and ensure timely and accurate completion of compliance related data.
Financial Management & Reporting:
• Develop and document a 5 year plan Roadmap for Operations covering Operational aspects, Opex, Capex and resource requirements. Review and update annually.
• Working closely with Site Leaders and Finance, devise the Operational Budget for the following year.
• Throughout the year, ensure sites are operated to agreed budget inputs, outputs, yields, efficiencies and budget costs. Report as required on reasons for deviations to budget and deploy action plan to mitigate negative deviations as far as reasonably practicable, to maximise profitability.
• Ensure rolling forecast figures are updated monthly for Operations.
• Ensure accurate and timely completion of all financial data.
• Ensure all required financial and production reporting is completed on time each month (and otherwise as required), which will include plant uptime reporting and communication of known risks to agreed budget and Rolling Forecast.
• Regularly critically assess and review Operational KPI’s for ongoing suitability and use KPI and other relevant operational data to make informed decisions to maximise outputs. Instil a ‘data-led’ decision making culture within Operations.
• Ensure continual review on all sites to ensure that adequate critical spares are held within the business, taking care to have enough spares without unnecessarily adding costs to balance sheet. Required spares should be defined via criticality assessment.
People Management & Development:
• Ensure strong team leadership and continuous engagement, and that site teams are competent to carry out their roles & tasks and that training & development is identified and sourced where needed and at the appropriate level.
• Lead and manage direct reports, ensuring PDP’s are in place for direct reports and that all PDP’s for all Operations employees are completed as per Company process within defined timescales.
• Critically assess, collate and present data to address any Operations resource requirements to meet the needs of the business now and for the future. Identify any gaps in people resources available (or other physical resources), whether these are due to training, competency, skillset, physical headcount (or any other reasons) and devise and present plan to address gaps.
• Ensure any gaps due to illness or absence or vacancies are identified quickly, and contingency plans put in place. All recruitment must follow the Company process.
• Ensure performance of Operational team is managed. Ensure good or exceptional performance is highlighted, recognised and rewarded through praise and reward and via discretionary annual bonus scheme.Ensure that development plans are put in place and actioned in a timely manner where performance could be improved.
• Ensure & oversee the induction of any new employee into Operations, ensuring Company induction processes are followed and that training records are maintained for all new employees. Ensure that competency assessments are available for all relevant roles and carried out as per required timescales.
• Ensure training records are available for all Operations employees and that competency can be proven.
• Ensure sites are conducting value add meetings to ensure forthcoming requirements are understood and actioned, and any issues are identified promptly and addressed.
External Relationship Management;
• Manage and nurture all key external relationships to ensure an honest working relationship, ensuring requirements are met or exceeded. This will include, but not limited to: relevant supplying distilleries; domino site leadership teams; key logistics suppliers; key service providers, such as SGN; competent authorities such as SEPA, HSE; other external governance/auditing bodies e.g. external auditors.
• Management of Contractors & Supplier relationships ensuring strict adherence across sites to Safety Requirements/Regulations. Ensure any breaches are managed and that poor performance is recorded. Ensure the occurrence of Supplier Review meetings with key Suppliers and Contractors so that service levels are reviewed accordingly.
• Key attendee at internal working groups with Finance, Compliance, Engineering and R&D functions.
• Champion and encourage the communication of opportunities from within all levels of the Operations team for continuous Improvement projects for systems and processes. Ensure agreement of projects to be implemented and monitor until completion, reporting on business benefits from such projects.
Summary: The above is a summary of the key duties the job-holder is expected to perform. It is possible that from time to time you will be requested to carry out other duties, which are not listed in this job specification.