13 days ago
Head of Engineering, Sustainable Energy
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary: £80k to £100K per annum
Our client is seeking a Head of Engineering (SE) with minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience to lead our Engineering Teams and be responsible for engineering and technical activities across the entire project lifecycle. The candidate will collaborate with the Business Development and Project Operations Team to effectively deliver engineering support across the project lifecycle.
The successful candidate will be based out of Abuja, Nigeria and will work with the company’s team based out of Canada and Nigeria and will report directly to the CEO and work closely with the Director, Sustainable Energy and Head of Project Operations.
Roles & Responsibility:
• Providing technical leadership to the team, including evaluating potential new technology, commercial impacts of equipment operation and performance
• Ensuring project execution conformity to approved design and lead the construction variation order process.
• Lead all project feasibility assessment activities working across Business Development and Engineering.
• Supporting the preparation and evaluation of budgets, bids, and contracts; directly negotiating engineering contracts.
• Managing design team towards timely preparation of concept / detail design for proposals and projects.
• Developing a QA-QC process / detailed documentation requirements for entire project life cycle specifically on design, project engineering, project execution, commissioning, and O&M.
• Developing and implementing policies, procedures & documentation for construction management, commissioning, quality assurance, work breakdown systems, project cost tracking system and procurement process implementing engineering best practices.
Management & Coordination (40%)
• Overseeing the work and deliverables of all our engineering teams including Solutions Engineering, Design Engineering, Project Engineering, and Systems Engineering Team as well as collaborating with Project Managers, Design partners and technology & equipment providers.
• Providing technical support to procurement team including liaising with vendors and suppliers
• Providing engineering support to project managers and business development team to plan execution on upcoming & on-going projects.
• Coordinating training and development of current our client team on any new processes, technologies & business systems as required
• Develop and follow internal Engineering processes including all database and report management activities.
• Travel local and international to ensure team building and proper communication between the teams located geographically away from each other
• Effective reporting to CEO / Director Sustainable Energy for status of all engineering related works
• Work with the executive team to assess current engineering team’s gaps; contribute and lead strategy to address them
• Support engineering recruitment by creating job descriptions, participating in the hiring, and onboarding process for new team members
• Building the Engineering team’s capacity & effectiveness; this is not limited to training on new processes, technologies & business systems required to make the company’s engineering team a centre of excellence for project delivery and Engineering Services for Nigeria and West Africa
• At least 8 + years of relevant experience in engineering design, project engineering & project execution experience in MW + Solar PV and Battery Energy Storage Systems
• At least 4 years in engineering management, team building, implementing systems and processes.
• BS or MS degree in Systems Engineering or Electrical Engineering
• Strong verbal / written communication skills
• Proactive nature, keen on attention to detail, self-directed and results-oriented
• Ability to multi-task and manage numerous projects simultaneously
• Well versed in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
• System level knowledge of state-of-the-art technology related to PV Modules, ESS, Grid tie
• inverters, Low Voltage AC systems, Transmission & Grid Interconnection
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
• Must be able to learn, understand and apply new technologies
• Ability and willingness to travel internationally
• Solid social and environmental impact mission (sustainable energy + increasing renewables to accelerate the energy transition) – with a team passionate about what we do and how we do it.
• The role is high impact - you will feel your direct impact to the company, to our mission and on our leadership team
• We are an equal opportunities employer, and we operate with an anti-oppression mindset. We maintain awareness of and continue to be sensitive to structural oppression/privilege at work and in the communities we serve.
• Salary range: competitive based on experience
• Benefits: housing, full range of health & dental; education allowance and learning & development experiences; generous paid sick days & vacation.
If this looks like the role for you, feel free to contact Charles below.
+44 (0) 2045667162