A rare opportunity to join an international off-grid renewables developer, with a mission to provide excellent, affordable clean energy in developing countries across the world. The main offices of the company are in London, with offices also in Italy and Africa.
The main role of the E&S manager is to construct an Environmental and Social Management System, aligned with IFC Performance standards at a corporate level, as well as working with E&S personnel at country level to manage project E&S problems.
The Manager will carry out E&S due diligence, portfolio monitoring, technical guidance and value add to mini-grid projects. The manager will work closely with staff at main offices as well as at country level.
- Advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, preferably environmental engineering, environmental or social studies; development studies / development finance; or a similar area.
- At least three years’ work experience in a related field (relevant sector, E&S and / or sustainability etc), preferably within E&S consulting, development finance or private equity / the wider investment industry.
- Experience and demonstrable commitment to our markets.
- Ability to travel for up to 40 days a year, often at short notice.
- Strong communication skills, including report writing (use of PowerPoint and diagrams to present information in a concise format) and oral communication.
- Effective negotiation skills, including the ability to be persuasive as well as to listen and pragmatically identify when compromise is required.
- Highly motivated and results driven.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent logical reasoning and structure in thought and communications.
- Proven ability to mentor and grow the skills of team members.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and prioritise a busy and diverse workload with a range of deliverables for a variety of stakeholders.
- Enjoy working as part of a team, collaborating and coordinating where appropriate.
- Good judgement and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the mini-grid sector and E&S issues
- Insight into the challenges associated with implementing E&S improvements in developing and emerging markets.
- Familiarity with the application of the IFC Performance Standards.
- Familiarity with the World Bank’s EHS Guidelines and / or similar standards.
- Experience building a corporate E&S management systems.