about 1 year ago
Director of Project Development | Renewable Energy | New York City
We are delighted to be retained by an innovative Energy Developer & Asset Manager based in New York City. The company has heavily invested in clean infrastructure for the city, with the current asset portfolio representing more than 20% of NYC’s electric generation capacity.
The firm’s strategy is centred on helping New York achieve ambitious clean energy goals, which includes modernisation of old infrastructure and developing new clean energy projects (such as battery storage and transmission). As a result of continued growth and success, the company is looking for a Director of Development to lead on greenfield and origination strategy to mature and develop a portfolio of renewable energy projects to final investment and NTP.
The Development Director will lead the origination and development of large-scale clean energy and associated infrastructure projects, with an emphasis on battery energy storage. His / her principal responsibility will be organizing and leading a team consisting of commercial, technical, entitlements and external affairs functions, with ultimate goal of securing the offtake, interconnection, site control, permits, equipment supply and installation and other agreements necessary to complete a final investment decision and commence construction. He / she will be expected to be the ultimate accountable party for the origination, design, real estate, permitting, contracting, and commercial arrangements for one or more large-scale clean energy projects, starting at project concept and continuing through the commencement of construction.
Leading projects towards a successful Final Investment Decision, including…
- Motivating and coordinating a team of project development professionals from different disciplines towards a successful Final Investment Decision for each project;
- Establishing consensus project goals that will lead each project to a successful Final Investment Decision, and ensuring alignment of the project team with the same;
- Working across the project team and other relevant internal stakeholders to ensure clear communication and collaboration at all stages of the project development process;
- Overseeing preparation and timely submission of all project materials, subject to approval by the CEO, and interface with other internal stakeholders.
Overseeing the project’s Commercial functions, including
- Identifying new clean energy project opportunities, undertaking due diligence, preparing a business case and obtaining internal approvals for pursuing the same;
- Overseeing preparation of, and periodic revisions to, a project budget, schedule and pro forma financial model, and ensure understanding of, and compliance with, the same;
- Support the origination of offtake and negotiation of power purchase agreements or comparable instruments that provide the required level of project revenues;
- Support site control negotiations and relationships with land owners;
Overseeing the project’s Technical functions, including
- Interpreting technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to ensure the impact of the same is accurately reflected in the project’s budget, schedule and pro forma financial model;
- Supporting the project design and engineering to ensure that it conforms with anticipated entitlement restrictions, available real estate, budgetary expectations and performance requirements;
- Supporting the project’s electrical (and other, if applicable) interconnection process(es) to ensure conformance with other project requirements (e.g. schedule, budget, etc.);
- Supporting equipment selection and vendor negotiations to ensure conformance with project budgets, schedules and pro forma financial models;
- Maintaining a general awareness of available and emerging technologies and trends in the battery energy storage sector through independent research;
Overseeing the project’s Entitlement functions, including
- Representing the Company with federal, state and local officials, regulators, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process;
- Supporting the development and implementation of strategies for securing all rights necessary to construct and operate a project, which includes but is not limited to:
- Acquisition of all public easements or other public land use rights;
- Directing site assessment and surveying activities in support of engineering and permitting; and
- Managing preparation and timely submission of all application materials and other documentation required for permits, consents and approvals.
Overseeing the project’s External Affairs functions, including
- Supporting the identification of, and outreach to, key stakeholders;
- Managing relationships with certain key prospective customers, authorities having jurisdiction, and other stakeholders;
- Ensuring an effective public, community and government engagement strategy and timely response to inquiries from the same;
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Environmental Science or a related field
- 10+ years professional experience in the energy industry with experience working with and across Engineering, Marketing, Finance and Legal functions.
Demonstrated knowledge of…
- the products available for a clean energy generation, transmission and/or storage asset to sell, such as energy, capacity, ancillary services, reactive power and others.
- general power sales arrangements, including merchant and contracted in wholesale and bilateral markets, and offer process for both energy and capacity in ISO markets;
- general permitting, site control, interconnection and other entitlements required for a clean energy infrastructure project to commence construction.
- best practices in project development practices, including leading teams and preparing for a Final Investment Decision and/or financial close.
- Microsoft products and/or complementing products, especially MS Excel.
Verifiable experience in…
- Project Management - developing project plans; completing projects on time and budget; managing project team activities.
- Project Development – developing a project concept, securing real estate, obtaining offtake, establishing entitlements, contracting for equipment supply and installation; and securing the required funding.
- Team Leadership - Fostering cooperation; ensuring progress toward goals; inspiring respect and trust; providing vision and inspiration; mobilizing others to fulfill the vision.