New York City
3 months ago
Company Research Senior Analyst – Power & Utilities (New York, NY or Austin, TX)
We're delighted to be retained by Carbon Tracker Initiative as they scale their research team in North America. The firm are strengthening the US team with two key hires who will focus on Company Research within Power & Utilities and the Oil, Gas & Mining verticals.
Carbon Tracker Initiative (CTI) operates as the leading not-for-profit independent thinktank dedicated to the global energy transition. The firm is headquartered in London (current headcount 30+) with a growing New York office, and presence in Austin, TX. The team in the US is lean and currently around 8 professionals. A key focus for CTI is to grow the North American operation which provides further context into these two hires. Ideally, these new individuals will be based in NYC, but they can also be situated in Austin.
The Company Research team is responsible for producing cutting edge analysis and research on companies’ alignment with the UN Paris Climate Agreement. This analysis will be used to identify how businesses can take ownership of their energy footprint, improve their ESG credentials and act as a catalyst to becoming carbon neutral.
The individuals hired for both roles will have proven industry experience (5+ years) which could be from a number of different backgrounds. These might include a similar thinktank, energy advisory, investment fund, bank or utility/IPP/developer, providing they can demonstrate relevant expertise. The ideal candidate will have exceptional industry knowledge, strong financial skills (including financial modelling) and be comfortable in commercial environments.
Carbon Tracker’s mission is to help markets and state actors align energy system capital allocation to the finite planetary limits of the Paris Agreement. Their success is measured by their ability to mobilise investors, policymakers and regulators into action around climate risk resulting in an orderly wind down of fossil fuels. Their analysis of unburnable carbon, stranded assets, and wasted capital has reframed the debate around climate change risk.
They are building a new team, who will create an exciting new workstream covering companies in Europe, the US and Asia. The team will produce analysis on the effective wind down and climate and financially secure transition plans for companies, which will provide investors with tools and evidence for impactful engagements and arguments with management teams.
GRC is proud to partner with Carbon Tracker as they look for an experienced and innovative analyst to cover power and utilities companies with a US focus, slotting into their existing thematic sector team. This role is one of the first hires for the new team and will be integral in setting the strategy, methodology, models and plan for the Company Research Workstream.
- Produce cutting edge research and analysis on companies’ Paris alignment, transition plans and create pathways for alignment alongside strategic and financial outlooks.
- Provide investors with analysis to empower engagement with company management teams, to catalyse macro change.
- Build quantitative models to drive conclusions, refine and evolve their data offering
- Contribute to strategy, research programme and develop methodology for Company Research with Head of Company Research.
- Impactfully and confidently articulate analysis to investors, both in writing and presentations, to build a compelling and persuasive narrative that will effect change.
- Leverage and build their network, raise their profile, amplify and advocate their message externally.
- Close collaboration with Heads of Research, sector team, and whole of Carbon Tracker team to work effectively together e.g. sharing best practices and knowledge
- Own company research for coverage universe and be an advisor for CA100+ activities
- Assist with data integrity and the delivery of the highest quality research, through adhering to quality control and production processes.
- Deliver agreed outputs to time and budget.
- Be a role model and uphold their values of respect, accountability, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Proven industry experience (at least five to seven years) in the power and utilities sector, with a focus on understanding economics and finance.
- This might include, Equities Buy or Sell side experience, boutique hedge fund, private equity, consultancy, corporate development or other finance roles covering the sector.
- Solid understanding of company financials reports and accounting.
- Strong knowledge and financial modelling and valuation expertise.
- Able to deeply analyse and company strategies alongside financial market implications.
- Programme and project planning experience.
- Adept at sourcing credible data and incorporating this data into financial, economic and market models.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to translate complexity clearly and concisely.
- Ability to command an audience, influence and drive behavioural change in markets
- Experience in working in a deadline driven environment.
- This role is one of the first hires for the new team and will be integral in setting the strategy, methodology, models and plan for the Company Research workstream at Carbon Tracker.
Please submit your resume to Rory Chandler to facilitate a confidential discussion regarding the role and your relevant experience. email@example.com