Flexible Depending on Experience
9 months ago
As part of the Sales Team within the Business Development department, the Commercial Director is a key contributor to the commercial success of this leading Demand Response client.
The role will involve using domain knowledge, commercial awareness, software/product, technology experience and influencing skills to support the Sales team in licensing the platform solution to new clients across the target geographies.
Partnering with sales managers in delivering a consultative software sales cycle, the Commercial Director helps uncover our prospects’ true business problems and desired Positive Business Outcomes (PBOs), and defines a solution to their problems that delivers those outcomes. They do this by working with prospects in a consultative way, aiming to understand their pain points first, get from them what will constitute positive business outcomes, and demonstrate through presentations, demos and discussions how the client's solutions deliver these PBOs and the unique benefits the client brings to the table.
This is a multi-disciplinary role that needs versatile candidates whose backgrounds demonstrate experience across the following key areas:
- Energy Market knowledge: demonstrable domain knowledge in the energy sector, with experience in Distributed Energy, Demand Response and CleanTech / Sustainability preferred.
- Software, Product and Technology: solid understanding of software, and in particular how licensed cloud-based platforms or products in the energy industry are positioned and sold.
- Business Analysis: demonstrate the use of business analysis skills in previous roles to positive effect.
- Sales Cycle: working closely with sales executives, and need to have prior experience in a commercial setting (either directly, or indirectly). They need to understand the concept of solution sales; be comfortable interacting with clients and prospects at all levels through conversations, demos and presentations.
- Overall: support the Chief Commercial Officer and the Sales Team in delivering successful platform license deals.
- Be responsible for gathering, understanding and articulating prospects’ desired positive business outcomes, defining a solution that allows prospects to achieve these outcomes.
- Create bid responses (such as RFP responses), proposals, sales presentations, demos and other sales cycle deliverables as required, seeking input from other stakeholders within the company
- Deliver customer facing activities including workshops, presentations and demos and represent
- Keep up-to-date with the product offering, understanding both what is currently available and what is on the roadmap
- Maintain a good level of knowledge around how customers deploy our solutions and how they leverage these to achieve their business objectives
- Keep up-to-date with changes in target territories, markets and customer segments, and define impact to the business
- As requested, undertake high-level research into markets, programs, customer segments and other areas that inform on where and how to position the licensed software platform
- Demonstrated experience within the Energy sector and in particular Distributed Energy, Demand Response, CleanTech / Sustainability
- At least 3-5 years prior work experience which has likely included Presales roles, Product, Consulting and/or Commercial roles, with regular client contact in recent roles
- Multi-disciplinary – incl. energy domain and market knowledge, software, product and technology experience, business analysis and/or consulting skills and commercial / sales experience
- Excellent written and verbal communicating skills with both internal and external presentation experience, document writing skills, and demonstrated listening skills. Equally comfortable interacting with both C-Level audiences and operational level staff. Ability to create clarity from complexity/ambiguity
- Proven ability to execute, and can demonstrate past examples of living by the ‘ownership, accountability and a sense of urgency’ mindset
- Comfortable working both individually and as a team player, with the ability to lead and motivate others to success without being their line manager (influence without authority)