3 months ago
A leading international law firm are seeking a non-contentious Associate Lawyer with experience of the renewable energy sector to join their Project Finance Team in Sydney.
The Sydney based team, together with their international colleagues are considered leading experts in the low carbon and renewables sector. The team sits at over 120 lawyers across a range of international offices and their work is rapidly expanding, with a growing number of mandates domestically and internationally.
Their clients range from start-ups to multinationals and includes energy companies and utilities, developers, energy services companies, property developers, energy consumers, technology companies, manufacturers and suppliers, debt and equity funders, energy & infrastructure funds, banks and insurers.
There are excellent prospects for progression and the company culture provides world-class support to achieve personal ambitions and goals. This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious qualified lawyer with a genuine interest in the green energy sector to join a leading firm in the market.
You will work on a range of transactional based low carbon and renewable energy matters (including solar, wind, waste-to-energy, batteries and energy efficiency).
Key responsibilities are:
· negotiating and concluding the sale or acquisition of project
· negotiating and concluding the project financing of the projects
· negotiating and concluding project documents (i.e. EPC, O&M, grid connection agreements and power purchase agreements) from early stage to financial close and then through to commissioning and operation.
Required skills and experience:
You will require at least 2 years' solid experience gained in a leading firm, working on the corporate, commercial and/or financial aspects of projects in energy and infrastructure, ideally in renewable energy.
You will have:
· Excellent academic achievement with a degree inn a relevant subject.
· Solid experience as a projects lawyer, gained within a comparable environment
· Exposure to one or more of the following areas:
o supporting clients with the sale or acquisition of projects in various stages of development and partnering / join development activities including experience in drafting and negotiating share purchase agreements, joint venture / development agreements, shareholders’ agreements and related due diligence processes and reviews;
o supporting clients in complex project structures where finance of the project is through both equity and debt including experience in drafting and negotiating project and construction finance, acquisition finance facilities, Government funding agreements;
o broader projects experience including experience in drafting and negotiating distribution and supply agreements, EPC and O&M contracts (including the relevant subcontracting agreements), grid connection agreements, power purchase agreements (utility and corporate), fuel supply agreements, energy supply agreements and emerging areas such as energy performance contracts.
· A clear understanding of the operation and structure of a commercial law firm.
· Flexibility in supporting cases across a broad range of legal issues.
· The ability to manage aspects of complex matters and clients, with proven negotiation skills.
· A knowledge of key areas of the law by providing clear, precise, practical advice.
· The ability to use initiative and a confidence built upon solid success and achievements.
· The ability to liaise effectively with others in the group
· The willingness and ability to support business development activity, creating and maintaining strong client relationships and identifying new business opportunities.