10 months ago
A leading international renewable energy developer are growing an Energy Storage team in Australia and they are seeking a Controls Engineer as part of this growth phase.
The Controls Engineer role will be to complement their portfolio of utility-scale solar and wind projects, and will help the global team in developing the core functionality of their Energy Management System
This company has integrated close to 250MW of energy storage worldwide with a variety of battery vendors, power conversion systems and use cases. Their unique Energy Management System underpins the performance of these systems.
As the Controls Engineer, you will collaborate with the global control and systems engineering teams to share knowledge and resources and drive product improvement. You will also work together with their Australian and international renewable engineers and data scientists to improve integration with their wind and solar plants and maximise revenue from their energy storage systems.
· Support the Development Manager in the implementation of the energy management system for energy storage. This will include the following activities:
o Develop the energy management system hardware, graphical user interface and PLC code to provide high level control to Energy storage systems, Solar farms, wind farms or hybrid power plants either individually or in any combination
o Develop the hardware, graphical user interface and PLC code for islanded / microgrid systems consisting of any of the above items of plant.
o Develop communication protocols and methodology between the above items of plant and grid operators to allow grid operator remote dispatch of these power plants.
o Provide support and develop project SCADA hardware and PLC code as required for energy storage projects on a global basis.
o Assist in the localisation of the platform to the Australian market
· Provide support to projects outside energy management as required by the business
· Optimising PLC code for speed of response, readability and reusability
· PLC programming, particularly Rockwell
· Power Industry communication protocols (Modbus, DNP3, IEC61850)
· On site and remote data capture systems and strategies
· Design, implementation and testing of remote communication systems
· Microsoft SQL database manipulation, creation and design
· Degree in Electrical or Control Systems Engineering (or equivalent)
Highly Desirable Skills
· Networking and Cyber Security
· Experience with PSCAD &/or PSSE power system modelling
· Scripting languages, particularly Python
· Experience in the Power Generation, Transmission or Distribution industry
· Understanding of the National Energy Market